Friday, June 8, 2012

Waiving an OL Could Mean Good Things

The Colts released OL Jake Kirkpatrick on June 7th.  This could mean two things, both good.  First, it could *just* mean making room for QB Luck, who is done with school and close to signing a contract.  But it could also mean confidence in the Offensive Line play.  The Colts made a complete overhaul on the line and I liked the moves.  Will it translate to immediate success, probably not, but who knows.  With time & practice together, I think the new look line has a good shot at being pretty good.  I like the additions of Satele, McGlynn and Justice.  With young draftees from last year, Castonzo and Ijalana, though mostly unprovened because of injuries, the line is looking much better and bigger.  Protecting our rookie QB is a very wise move, a strategy proven to work out pretty good when a certain QB named Manning was just starting out.

Interesting article in the Indy Star yesterday concerning the DBs attitude toward being called the weak link of the Colts roster.  Though it may very well be true and everything I read locally and nationally about the Colts, all say that is a major area where we struggled last year and really didn't do much to address so the expectation is very low.  Just reviewing the roster at each position, I don't think anyone can deny that DB is currently a weak spot.  But when you're just looking at any team's roster at each position, there's always strong and weak areas.  I do like and hope to continue to hear the *attitude* from our DBs though.  I think it's about time the Colts get a tougher attitude, especially on defense, but I'd like to see that kind of spirit and chippyness from the entire team.  I always cringed when I heard the Colts described as a finesse team.  I really would like to hear more descriptions this year like tough, nasty, gritty, scrappy, hard-hitting, come after you, pressure....and I'll be up in the stands yelling and screaming all the way and hopefully doing a lot of "ahhhhh, 1st down" cheering.

Can't wait to see and hear about our new QB Luck getting some reps now. 

Go Colts!

No comments:

Post a Comment